Subject: Re:Ripples
From: Brian - Hoffman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 1994 00:55:14 -0700 (PDT)

>Maybe Allen can provide some insight on the inner workings of the 
>Ripples bump map; I've tried everything I could think of to try and 
>separate out the individual effects of the various parameters, with 
>little success.

I've had problems getting the results I want with ripples as well.  
What I'd really like to see in Lightwave is something like the wave 
source objects in Aladdin.  In Aladdin you can position any number 
of wave sources in your scene.  Each wave source has its own 
parameters (frequency, amplitude, falloff, etc.) that can be 
animated over time.  The wave source positions can also be animated 
over time.  Each object in your scene has an animatable wave 
sensitivity parameter that tells how sensitive that object will be 
to wave disturbances. 

In earlier versions of Aladdin the waves acted as bump (surface 
normal) disturbances.  I believe the current version also allows 
waves to change the actual geometry of the objects.  Needless to
say, you can produce some incredible effects with this system.

How about it Allen?  Any chance you could give us Aladdin-like wave 
capabilities in Lightwave?

-Brian Hoffman   <[email-masked]>